So I haven’t made this cake yet, but am planning on doing so over the weekend. It sounds so easy and I love using apple in cakes as it makes them nice and moist. These are all store cupboard ingredients for me, including the dates, which I like to use as a sweetener, reducing the amount of sugar I use.
Date and Apple Loaf
- 300g self-raising flour
- 250g pitted dates, chopped
- 100g soft light sugar
- 1 level teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 270 jar apple sauce
- 2 medium eggs
- Set the oven to 160C. Tip the flour into a bowl and stir in the dates, sugar cinnamon and salt. Add the apple sauce and eggs to the bowl and 5 tablespoons water. Stir to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into a 2lb loaf tin and level the surface
- Bake in centre of oven for about 1 hour or until the loaf feels firm to the touch
- Remove from oven and leave to cool in tin for 10 mins, then turn it out onto wire rack and leave to cool completely