Nothing will ever beat my mother’s brown bread and there was never any point in asking her for the recipe, as she is of the old I don’t measure anything school of baking, and I haven’t reached the stage in my life, when that works for me. I’ve tried out many recipes and I think I’ve hit on the one that most resembles Mum’s. The only thing is every time I bake it, it seems to turn out different.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Grease a 900g/2lb loaf tin.
- Put wholemeal, wheat bran, sugar, salt and sieved bread soda into a mixing bowl and mix well together.
- Add the oil, milk and yoghurt and stir until well blended. Mixture will be quite wet.
- Transfer to the prepared tin. I like to sprinkle some linseeds on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- Bread is baked when tapped underneath and it has a hollow sound.
- Wrap in a clean tea towel and allow to cool.