Muffins are great..they are so simple to prepare and unlike my cakes, they can’t sink in the middle or crack, which always seems to be the fate of my cakes. There are so many different recipes out there, and here is another one of my favourites adapted from a recipe I have for lemon drizzle cake. The amounts given here should make 8-10 muffins.
2 eggs, beaten
85g/3oz caster sugar
240ml/8fl oz milk
100ml/3½fl oz vegetable oil
300g/10oz plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
4 lemons, zest only
For the topping
50g/2oz icing sugar
1 lemon, juice only
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Line a muffin tin with paper cases. Mix the egg, sugar, milk and oil in a large bowl. Sift in the flour, baking powder, salt and then add the lemon. Roughly mix.
2. Spoon the mixture into the pre-prepared muffin cases.
3. Bake for 30-35 minutes until well risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.
4. Make the lemon drizzle topping by mixing together the sugar and lemon juice.
5. Spoon the lemon drizzle mixture over the cooled muffins. If desired, decorate the muffins with sprigs of lemon thyme.